[Solved] Subaru Bluetooth Not Automatically Connecting To Phone

I have a 2014 Subaru Forester.
2015-02-04-15.03.07
Previously, I was using an iPhone 4S on iOS 7 and every time I started the car, the phone would automatically connect to Bluetooth. Worked great.

I switched to an iPhone 5S on iOS 8 and that stopped working.

I tried deleting and re-pairing through the radio about a dozen times. Still didn’t work.

Finally, I remembered the audio pairing option available through the steering wheel control. Turns out, I think I had maxed out the number of connected devices there. Apparently, the radio and audio settings don’t interact with each other.

I talked through the BT setup options, deleted all the devices I had installed there and re-paired my iPhone.

Problem solved!

14 Comments

1. I have a 2012 Outback and an iPhone 7. It’s been working fine (mostly) for over a year but suddenly won’t connect. The car says the bluetooth is on and my phone says it’s connected to the Carmultimedia but the calls aren’t coming through the car. I checked all the settings and everything seems to be fine? My phone is the only device paired to the car. This happened after a dropped call and I haven’t been able to get it back. Very frustrating!

2. I was fighting this for over six months before I found this blog post – deleting the pairing and redoing it from the steering wheel made it auto-connect again! Thank you!

3. WE have a 2019 Subaru and have a TracFone. When we try to use the phone a link with Verizon keeps showing up and we can use the apps on the car phone to make calls or have the contacts show up.

4. I had a heck of a time getting my iPhone X to connect with my 2015 Subaru Forrester. The iPhone 6 would with no issues. I tried the voice command suggestion, deleting the phone from the car then pairing again using the voice commands….and it worked!!! Awesome…..thanks!!!!

5. PROBLEM SOLVED ( For Now)
    I’ve struggled for over a year with NO Navigation Voice between my 2015 Subaru and my iPhone. It worked fine for a few months when I got the car two years ago. I’ve had Subaru Service swear it was working … but it wouldn’t work for me…SO FRUSTRATING. I was about to dump it for a different automobile when I came upon this website. Paring your phone from the STEERING WHEEL BUTTONS and prompts has worked….Crazy, I know. NOTE: It didn’t work immediately for me, but the next time I got in the car … IT TALKED! One week and it’s still talking!

6. My 2016 Forrester keeps saying it’s connecting to the LG G5 phone that has been pairded for months the system seems to be locked up can’t delete the phone can’t pair a differnt devise any suggestions

7. I own a 2014 Subaru Forester. I upgraded my phone and tried 3 different phones – Google, I-phone, and Motorola. I get static on my end and can’t hear the other phone’s conversation that well. Was told there was no software update for the phone. Has anyone had this issue and how did you correct it?

8. My 2015 Subaru Forester won’t connect to my iPhone 6s Plus , originally it did after lots of frustration but after it kept connecting and disconnecting while I was driving I unpaired them and now I can’t connect at all worse part Subaru dealership didn’t know what it was . I just want my phone and Subaru to pair so I can use the Bluetooth feature

9. This worked for me also. I switched to an iPhone 8 and it would not automatically pair to my Forrester 2015. Using the voice command controls on the steering wheel and deleting my phone that way, then re-pair via voice controls worked !

10. I had no problem with old mobile phone. I now have a new phone and tried several times to pair with the car, but, I had to change my passkey several times. Now I get memory full and can’t get the phone and the Blue Tooth on the car to pair up? I follow all the instructions, but get the same message that the memory is full. How do I get rid of the memory and start over?

11. I just got the iphone X and had the same problem with my 2013 Subaru Outback. I just did this, and it worked. “Delete any existing Bluetooth devices through the radio menu. Press the OFF hook button on the steering wheel. Use the radio buttons or voice control to continue. SETUP / PHONE SETUP / PAIR PHONE / RECORD NAME. Say the owner’s name (at least 2 syllables, so you may need to say the name twice or add a last or middle name). CONFIRM. Go into your phone’s bluetooth menu, select CAR MULTIMEDIA, and enter the passkey (1234 in my case).”

• Thank you. Your directions were wonderful.

12. I have a Forester 2015 and I was having problems setting up the Bluetooth with my new Android phone. I followed your instructions and it’s working great now. I find I can’t be listening to an audiobook and map directions (both on my phone) at the same time though. With my previous vehicle it would interrupt the audiobook to give the map directions when it needed to. I’ve come to accept that I can’t hear both with this vehicle though.

13. I own an Outback 2011and have problems with Bluetooth connectivity with my iPhone 5
    on incoming calls.